I've had The Bourne Ultimatium on the top of my Netflix queue for WEEKS. All it says is "Long Wait" and they default to the next movie in my queue. I mean...ya'll don't have enough discs?? What is this crap? As a whole, I've enjoyed my Netflix experience. But this has been annoying.

On the lighter side, I saw Barry Lyndon tonite for the first time, suggested by (once upon a time) poster, Claude Balls.

I really enjoyed it. I liked how the first half was kindof like Forrest Gump: he goes from one amazing circumstance to the other. Very entertaining. And then the 2nd part was very intense and dramatic.

The shots were *SICK* throughout the movie. Some of the scenes were downright amazing, what with the sets, the castles and gardens, the costumes and the lighting. Great stuff. Not a short movie by any stretch at 3 hours, complete with intermission. But I never thought it dragged on. In fact, I enjoyed how these scenes were shot in long takes, almost like a "real-time" experience. I didnt recognize a single actor in that jam but they were great in the long takes with their nuanced, snobbish "upper-society" demeanors, etc.

 

12 Responses to “The Netflix Ultimatium: The Barry Lyndon Report”

  1. Gtown Monkey

    pretty revolutionary and brave cinematography too...
    one of the first theatrical features to attempt shooting some scenes with available light / candle light.


  2. Gtown Monkey

    wait, you mean you haven't just been collecting the Bourne movies? there pretty damn good.


  3. Ockshun Jockson

    i cant even tell you that last dvd i purchased. it's been years, for certain. i do want to get the new bladerunner, but i may just hold off and get it on bluray since i know for certain i'll own a playstation 3 at some point.

    for a while i was duping my rentals but i gave up on that too a while back.


  4. Gtown Monkey

    Yeah, the idea of duping discs is appealing until you realize how much work it is...

    I scored the Blade Runner DVD Delux suitcase edition.
    I was sort of holding out for Blu-Ray too
    (but since Santa/Hanukkah Harry hooked me up)
    It would be an excuse to get a BR player or Lacie Burner and I could think of a handful of movies I'd NEED to then purchase (or repurchase on HD)... Blade Runner and Lawrence of Arabia
    being at the top of the list.


  5. cleveland browsie

    i've had a rip of the bourne jawn for months. if you really get impatient, i can copy it for you and mail it.

    barry lyndon... hmmm. have to check it.

    claude balls may be returning to these parts i hear.

    speaking of kubrick... no one should ever under any circumstances try to fall asleep to the shining. usually i like falling asleep to movies... but not that one. twice now i have tried it. bad bad bad. absolutely incredible movie though.


  6. Claude Balls

    yea those candle light shots were off the hook, and how about his melancholy wife, i think she looked even hotter after their relationship went down the tubes... yo jockson, speaking of buying movies, i just bought a used copy of Vampire Hunter D: bloodlust which was all your influence back in the day...Mooooooooooooooooooooo!


  7. Claude Balls

    hey the only Kubrick movie i still haven't seen is Sparticus and is mostly because its over 3 hours long. Anyone have any thoughts on whether its worth watching?

    ...While your at it I will give you the list of the other few 3+ hour movies that i am putting off watching (i am obviously ADHD if didn't already know or couldn't figure it out), and maybe someone can shed some light on whether any of them are endurable:

    the Stalker
    Fanny & Alexander
    La Strada
    Berlin Axelanderplatz (Fastbinder movie thats like 16 hours long)


  8. cleveland browsie

    tarkovsky's stalker? definitely a good one. pretty pivital around these parts... check the posts about the zones...

    as for the other ones... i have no idea. franny and alexander? isn't that some totally like, adult shit?


  9. cleveland browsie

    la strada? isn't that some kind of bougeois brunch food?


  10. Claude Balls

    brownsie you went to film school right? La Strada is your boy Fellini, and Fanny and Alexander is one of Ingmar Bergman's most highly acclaimed films but its like 180 minutes long


  11. Ink-Stained Wretch

    Dude, we went to Penn State film school. We thought "getting exposed to Fellini" meant that some dago frat boy had dropped trou in the quad.


  12. cleveland browsie

    it's true.


Leave a Reply