All Hail: The FZ-1 (A Tribute)

Author: Ockshun Jockson



The mighty Casio FZ-1: Cherished by its owner, admired by many. A legendary piece of equipment to be certain. The FZ-1 we all know and loved may have met an unfair fate, but its soul still burns!

While virtual crate digging in the archives, I came across a bunch of sound files I recorded while I had Cleveland's FZ-1 on loan for a day or two back in 1999/2000!. I tried to rack up as many tunes as I could during that brief session so many years ago, and I just found a bunch of the original recordings tonite. And while their names remain interesting ("Insect Mind Fuck," "Helen," "Psycho Turnicate Funk"), the actual "songs" remain to be proven of their appeal.

More-so audio score tests than constructed pop songs, I've posted one with minimal post-processing: I upped the gain a bit, and this file has tweaked-out vocal clips I inserted (with a vocal distortion effect I am pretty proud of). Aside from those 2 changes, this recording was done entirely live.

OK, without further adieu:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/563858648c6e61/

Lemme know what ya think!

 

4 Responses to “All Hail: The FZ-1 (A Tribute)”

  1. Gtown Monkey

    FYI: although not a sampling keyboard,
    but in that same era and product line...
    mad props must also be given to the Casio CZ-101!

    I had the mini version you could wear
    with a guitar strap (if you so wanted).
    It was one of the first programmable
    synths with midi. That and an Atari ST
    and you were in business, circa 1986...
    YEAAAHHH!


  2. Ockshun Jockson

    http://www009.upp.so-net.ne.jp/hoshikaw/keyborad/kb-cz-101.jpg


  3. cleveland browsie

    awww the fz.

    mine fell of a shelf at 3rd st. i am afraid to inspect it for fear of total heartbreak. hopefully just a couple keys are busted.

    nothing sounds like that thing, but man what a bear to work with. push button hell. plus mine had a broken input so i had to slowly transfer everything over via midi. i sort of want to mess with it again, but arrrgh. maybe i can borrow stitch's if he still has it.

    when i log on with my machine i will download the song, o.j.


  4. Claude Balls

    yo ben you know i have one that is basically in mint condition that is sitting in Bitonti's basement...


Leave a Reply