Sounds of Saturn

Author: doktorbrown



Moogs in outer space! Well, almost. NASA recently published several audio recordings collected during the Cassini-Huygens space probe's exploration of the Saturnian system, and it couldn’t sound more like a theremin-laden soundtrack to a 2001: A Space Odyssey sequel.

 

3 Responses to “Sounds of Saturn”

  1. Ink-Stained Wretch

    Very nice.... have you ever heard of Dr. Fiorella Terenzi? TIME magazine called her a "cross between Madonna and Carl Sagan," and she was the first person to ever hold dual memberships in the American Astronomical Society and the National Academy of Recording Arts & Science (the folks who give out the Grammys). Fiorella collaborated with talents as diverse as Herbie Hancock, Massive Attack, Thomas Dolby & Dr. Timothy Leary. But perhaps most remarkably...

    Fiorella put out a pretty amazing record called Music from the Galaxies which manipulates samples from radio telescopes into musical compositions -- you're literally listening to the Music of the Spheres --the ancient philosophers concept that the harmonious motion of the heavenly bodies could be perceived as music.


  2. Gtown Monkey

    This stuff sounds very Atari 8- bit.
    Makes me wonder if there was a Antic Processor on that space probe.

    Remember a publication called Mondo 2000 ?
    There was a nice article about Dr. Terenzi back in the mid-nineties. As I recall, she's one of those hot - brainy ladies. I'm have to look, but I still have the issue, which I'm sure is out of print.


  3. Ink-Stained Wretch

    Ahh, I almost name-checked MONDO 2000.... because that's where I first ran across Dr. T. According to her site, the article was entitled "Let's Get Astrophysical," because, unless pictures lie, she was, indeed, a hottie.


Leave a Reply