confusing tales of the SOUTHLAND
Author: Gtown Monkey
I was very excited about the release of this film, what-being from
the genius behind Donnie Darko and all. As Darko wraps up
it's seemingly random elements, neatly, by films end
(or in my case- through the course of additional viewings)...
on the contrary Southland Tales does no such thing. I found this movie truly baffling. Baffling in direction and pace taken by director Kelly and that he seemingly went unchecked / unaided in realizing this...
as it would seem a director run awok.
I can't help but like what he was trying to do...
the film is sort of an exquisite mess...
never resolving or completing some thoughts.
I would encourage others to see this movie
to discuss it and help to collectively understand it.
To be fair, I tried to apply Cleveland Browsie's ideas of
filmtrance and the appreciation of films that don't
quite have to make sense- but it didn't help.
There are many elements that work really well...
but as the sum of the parts, I feel likes it fails and loses
cohesion. At Cannes, where the film wasn't received well,
a cut 20+ minutes longer was shown.
After purchasing the film, Sony Pictures encouraged Kelly to cut
down the film to a healthy 2.5 hours. I would be
interested in seeing if that version makes more
sense.
Another key to groking an understanding of this opus,
is a multi-part Graphic Novel series, I am now
very anxious to read. It is supposed to provide a prequel
to the existing film.
a review from the Cannes screening
The Guardian's snarkilicious take on the changes between the Cannes version and the released version of the film, as described by former Slayer Sarah Michelle Gellar:
Richard Kelly has rejigged his film Southland Tales since its appalling reception at the Cannes film festival last year, according to star Sarah Michelle Gellar.
However, the former Buffy the Vampire Slayer actor says there has been no major work done, largely because the team behind the movie feel critics in France were the "wrong audience" for a tale set in LA.
"I really do think the movie sort of got an unfair rap from Cannes," Gellar told Sci-fi Wire. "Looking back, we all sort of realised, the movie takes place in Los Angeles. It is a story about here, about us, and we truly believe it should have been shown for the first time here. I think it was really the wrong audience. If you're at Cannes, they're looking for a different kind of movie. And that's not what this movie is."
Southland Tales is Kelly's follow-up to 2002's critically acclaimed Donnie Darko, widely seen as one of the most original debuts of recent years. Gellar said changes which had been made included trimming the film, the addition of several scenes to clarify the complicated narrative, new visual-effects shots and a new ending. So hardly any different at all then.
"I think those were edits that were always going to happen," Gellar said.
Why is Sarah Michelle Gellar the spokesperson in this article?
Scary.
What was supposedly cut was entirely all of Janeane Garofalo's character and addition portions of Kevin Smith's character.
This is also a pretty good take on the film...
Well from the trailer alone, and never having seen Donnie Darko (though I think you were ready to project it at the cabin before we got distracted on some other project Jeff) I have to say that it looks entertaining in an apocalypticly plotless disconnected random madness mindtrip stylee mega-ultraviolence ensemble spectacle sorta way. Magnolia meets Smokin' Aces in Tank Girl world....I could be completly wrong however...