well chalk another one up to the synchroscope. I just read this story before I came here and was having visions of Corinthian leatherface while I was reading it.
Wow... that EW list of the "25 Best" of the last 25 years is pretty dodgy. Some very, very strange choices & omissions.
OJ: They might not show the original ST: TMP because it was a box office bob-omb (but then again, so was ST V -- though I do have to say having Spock, McCoy and Kirk singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" in a round was a stroke of dadaistic gizzenius). It doesn't help that there are like 20 different cuts of the first movie... I'd still love to see Robert Wise's original director's cut, which apparently only ever showed up on airplanes -- which eschewed most of the ridiculously long SFX sequences in favor of character moments.
Yeah, I question "V" being on that list as well... even though I was into it as a youngster...
sadly, Imran Khan had not been genetically enhanced. He might have faired better.
Perhaps Corinthian Leather is really the hide of the The Corinthian's victims (of Neil Gaiman's excellent Sandman fame)... which i may have to go back and read again.
Forget V being on that list.... what about Quantum Frakkin' Leap??? And tho' I love Sunless Spotshine, is it just me that thinks it's kind of a stretch to call it sci-fi? A certain PhilDickian quality, sure; and, arguably, the memory-erasing "technology" is technically a sci-fi MacGuffin... but like Quantum Leap, I don't really think of it as 'sci-fi' because they're just using technobabble hand-waving to get to an esoteric place that's more appropriately dubbed "fantasy." (Which in itself has had its definition as a genre corrupted; somehow "fantasy" has been corrupted into exclusively meaning either "Tolkien rip-off" or "Conan rip-off.")
And who decided to pick Verhoeven's Starshit Goofers and Turdal Recall over his leaner, meaner, sharper and ultimately betterRoboCop?
And let me mention that, just for starters, a few other things that came out during the 25 year window they're circumscribing:
* "Max Headroom" * 2/3 of the Mad Max trilogy * 12 Monkeys * Videodrome * Liquid Sky * Buckaroo Banzai * Cronenberg's Fly * Predator * Akira * Delicatessen * Tetsuo: The Iron Man * Contact * Men in Black * Minority Report * Donnie Darko (Hey, it's at least as sci-fi as Spotshine, "Leap" and Back to the Future the last of which is the yin to Darko's yang; and arguably it's one of the primary sources of Darko's vicious piss-take inversion of typical happy-ending Hollywood values.)
anyway, the corinthian leather seemed cool, but it's the chrysler crystal key program that always intrigued me. ricardo really knew how to emphasize that phrase for maximum impact i might add. man, wouldn't it be cool if you actually received some kind of crystal key with your car?
"Ahh... Starlog - now those were the days!" (he mutters as he pushes his glasses up the bridge of his nose and zips his starfleet standard issue jumper a little more as if, momentarily, chilled by a leaky airlock)
yea yall!! the rave is just beginning!
they nver show the first star trek movie on tv...why is that? the story in that movie is fucking bonkers yo imho
I always have to take a wicked shit during the extended V'GER docking sequence...
Star Trek V - the search for God
was pretty silly too.
It was interesting that in an issue of EW this summer, they named the top 25 SciFI movies & tv
of the last 25 years...
Wrath was number 5.
Has anyone seen HEROS, seems to me it's too new to be on the list. There were a few questionable choices.
well chalk another one up to the synchroscope. I just read this story before I came here and was having visions of Corinthian leatherface while I was reading it.
EXT. DEEP SPACE
As we hold on a shot of the planet, an ECHO fills the void of space --
ADM. KIRK (VO): JAWWWWWWWWWWWWN!!!!
Wow... that EW list of the "25 Best" of the last 25 years is pretty dodgy. Some very, very strange choices & omissions.
OJ: They might not show the original ST: TMP because it was a box office bob-omb (but then again, so was ST V -- though I do have to say having Spock, McCoy and Kirk singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" in a round was a stroke of dadaistic gizzenius). It doesn't help that there are like 20 different cuts of the first movie... I'd still love to see Robert Wise's original director's cut, which apparently only ever showed up on airplanes -- which eschewed most of the ridiculously long SFX sequences in favor of character moments.
Yes, I am a geeeeeeek.
Yeah, I question "V" being on that list as well... even though I was into it as a youngster...
sadly, Imran Khan had not been genetically enhanced. He might have faired better.
Perhaps Corinthian Leather is really the hide of the
The Corinthian's victims
(of Neil Gaiman's excellent Sandman fame)...
which i may have to go back and read again.
Forget V being on that list.... what about Quantum Frakkin' Leap??? And tho' I love Sunless Spotshine, is it just me that thinks it's kind of a stretch to call it sci-fi? A certain PhilDickian quality, sure; and, arguably, the memory-erasing "technology" is technically a sci-fi MacGuffin... but like Quantum Leap, I don't really think of it as 'sci-fi' because they're just using technobabble hand-waving to get to an esoteric place that's more appropriately dubbed "fantasy." (Which in itself has had its definition as a genre corrupted; somehow "fantasy" has been corrupted into exclusively meaning either "Tolkien rip-off" or "Conan rip-off.")
And who decided to pick Verhoeven's Starshit Goofers and Turdal Recall over his leaner, meaner, sharper and ultimately better RoboCop?
And let me mention that, just for starters, a few other things that came out during the 25 year window they're circumscribing:
* "Max Headroom"
* 2/3 of the Mad Max trilogy
* 12 Monkeys
* Videodrome
* Liquid Sky
* Buckaroo Banzai
* Cronenberg's Fly
* Predator
* Akira
* Delicatessen
* Tetsuo: The Iron Man
* Contact
* Men in Black
* Minority Report
* Donnie Darko (Hey, it's at least as sci-fi as Spotshine, "Leap" and Back to the Future the last of which is the yin to Darko's yang; and arguably it's one of the primary sources of Darko's vicious piss-take inversion of typical happy-ending Hollywood values.)
dude, it's entertainment weekly.
anyway, the corinthian leather seemed cool, but it's the chrysler crystal key program that always intrigued me. ricardo really knew how to emphasize that phrase for maximum impact i might add. man, wouldn't it be cool if you actually received some kind of crystal key with your car?
I'd find your crystal key and I'd smoke it, yo.
BTW-
What's wrong with Entertainment Weekly?
It's not freaking TV GUIDE.
The Brow has a point... it ain't no Cahiers du Cinema.
Hell, it ain't even STARLOG.
"Ahh... Starlog
- now those were the days!"
(he mutters as he pushes his glasses
up the bridge of his nose and zips his starfleet
standard issue jumper a little more as if,
momentarily, chilled by a leaky airlock)