Stuck in the Rut

Author: Ockshun Jockson

I've been recording and mixing my new record for the last year. It's been exciting working with tons of artists and kindof "conducting" the record. But it's been extremely challenging, demanding and expensive.

I got burnt recently on a deal where the first song I did with an artist came out so great I went back and requested we do another. Working via her manager, I agreed to the full contract price up-front in exchange for a 3 day turnaround. That is something I have personally never done be it in music, or web, whatever. It's always been deposit, then balance on delivery. Standard shit. But I felt comfortable accepting those terms because the first song went down very smooth; they were very professional.

Well, the whole deal went to shit. They recorded less than we verbally agreed, sent compressed mp3 vocals, wouldn't return half of the money when I stated I was not satisfied, it got messy. The verbal terms of the agreement were a "full song" which, in retrospect, is ambiguous. But to me a "full song" is 3:45, or there about. Or 3 verses and choruses. There was no contract which again I was dumb for not scribing. Maybe I had all this coming. But our repoire was such that I considered them good people.

I'm over the denial part. And I'm even past the acceptance. It wasn't the first deal-gone-bad on this project, either. Nor is it really anything new to me business-wise, 12 years into this game. But it's made me realize things I miss.

What I miss the most is having an ear to fall back on. Specifically, you guys. For example, I have no idea if this song in question is even hot anymore? Or if it was even hot to begin with? Do I keep the few minutes she recorded? Should I chop it up and turn it into a chorus and get someone else on there instead? Should I scarp it altogether?

Maybe the post title should be, "Good Friends Are Hard to Find". Cause this one is in honor of you guys. I miss having creative people I admire and respect around me, so let's stay strong and continue forging together!

Chin-chin ladies and gents.

 

7 Responses to “Stuck in the Rut”

  1. cleveland browsie

    At least you're doing something creative. Personally, I'm lost in the Vacuous Plane of Souls lately. I haven't been this uninspired since the latter half of 2001 and early 2002. Maybe uninspired is the wrong word. I have ideas, it's more like I just don't care for some reason. No drive. I am sure some of it can be attributed to the fact that I am basically in a vacuum. Which is in essence what you are talking about, Stinke. No heads on the level around to bounce ideas off of. It gets rough. There are other reasons too, but i digress. I miss you too, dawg.

    The rut ain't cool. Let's face it. I am pretty much resigned to waiting it out, and developing my mind with seemingly unrelated things like chess and existentialism. I feel like i could use some sharpening.

    As far as getting burned goes, I doubt I can tell you anything you don't already know. At least it wasn't some rip in the fabric of time style burn, just some asshole music people. (Perhaps I am hinting at another reason for my strange vacuousness.) However, the burn always opens your eyes, no?


    Sorry this comment is a little self absorbed and unfocused. I really need a nap. I am sure I can write something better later, but I'll post this anyways.


  2. Ink-Stained Wretch

    Likewise: I know in how many, many ways my life is somewhat lacking ever since the G-Town Monkey brachiated back East. That ape's got more bounce in his soul then the rest of the fools in the whole damn area code...

    There's a deep malaise sometimes, I find, in being creative for a living, seeing your visions crashing up against the walls of Commerce and Other People's Bullshit. G-Town reminded me tonight of the pit of despair I found myself in when my "I'm finally a real-life paid screenwriter!" moment came crashing into the moment of realizing, "Wait, I actually have to follow the notes of this drunken producer who couldn't find a story (much less his own ass) with both hands?"

    It's important to have people in your life who can relate that this kind of bullshit is not just the Cost of Doing Business: it's an ice-cold stab in the winged back of the Muse that moves you.


  3. Ink-Stained Wretch

    Confidential to Cleveland: get out of your own way, man; you have been, will, and are possessed by genius.


  4. Stitchy McYizzleski

    What really sucks is the amount of energy and personal inititive it takes to undergo that whole process of making a record...and then to have some douche roll through it like a porta-john...I've meet thousands of kats like that and, very fortunately, you can take some consolation that they probably wont go anywhere, and if they do it will be so fleeting because of all the burned bridges.

    As to whether it hot or not, FUCK THAT. If you felt, at one time, that track was the shit, it is the shit. Its funny how 6 months, 1000 listens over and over and a bad buisness deal will sour the vibe of a song real quick.

    The cool thing is, there's always another track right around the corner...


  5. cleveland browsie

    yo shirminatrix, why'd you delete your comment?


  6. cleveland browsie

    aye stitchy! yeah it blows not having you around either...


    we need to start posting up tracks on this blog. of course in my case i need to actually have some tracks.


  7. Gtown Monkey

    Yeah sorry, I read back my original response the day after I posted it and thought it was whiney and self-absorbed. I thought I had gotten a bit off topic talking about jobs that had gone south for me this summer, but I guess I was in good company.

    A knee- jerk reaction I regret.
    [I'd repost, but I think it's now gone away.
    Unless someone know how to retrieve deleted
    comments.]


Leave a Reply