MetalGear = Pretty hot... I was a little lost as to what was going on with the nanomachines. I guess I'll always have my head in an 8 bit world.
BTW, what chick wears earrings into battle? I mean they look great, all rendered, dangling naturally like they do, but isn't that a little impractical for the battle field? It's a silly point, but I was distracted by that till everyone started freaking out. I guess that's the only flaw I could find- which ain't nuthan.
I think the fighting looked more fluid and classy in Assassin's Creed... but I don't know shit about videogames any more. The last combat /FPS game I played with any regularity was America's Army.
Shit. That's outta hand. Statue camo? Whaaat?!? That's crazy enough I would consider buying a PS3- are they still like $600 bucks? Hmmm... iPhone or PS3? Fuck that, I'd buy a camera first.
LOL - the puking after the barrel attack and the "mens magazine" - Ha!
actually, the a.i. in mgs4 looks stupid... but i am sure on advanced settings it's better, but it seems too easy that you can just flip a switch and change your suit and be instantly "invisible"...
that weird white ring that floats around snake is hot shit. also the snake eye vision that turns enemies into white shadows... hot.
it's also cool that they finally made it a full blown 3D environment. previous installments have you sort of "fixed" on a certain overhead perspective. also, you could only look in the first person but not move.
any of yous ever play snake eater (mgs3)? it's pretty crazy. you have to hunt food and use camo. takes place in the 60's. it has these crazy ass natural environments.
i wanted (still want, actually) to play snake eater. i've always admired the mgs games from afar but i just couldnt get down with the gameplay. when they added the additional camera to snake eater: subsistence i was ready to start playing the series. but it got lost amongst a bunch of other games that came out. now i'm at the point where i cant fade ps2 anymore. i'll prolly get a ps3 in the fall, or a 360 despite how much i dont want. but it has more games on it.
Target sells decent (no name brand) 26-40" HD flatscreen LCDs for a $300- $900. Good Sonys 36-40" are discounted to $1000-$1500... or you could get a $50-$100 converter box and use an old 19" computer display.
I would think it would be a waste to get a PS3 and not pump it through a (even mediocre) surround system and some display that supports Hi-Def resolutions.
$2k to waste months and months of sheer life. ha. it would probably be good for your mind or something tho.
i could suffer along with a shitty screen probably, but i would run it through my production monitors which can be expanded to surround for like $150.
if i abstain from videogames for 6 months and do an album worth of tracks, THEN get a ps3 and play the assassin jawn and mgs4 i think i could live with myself.
meanwhile there are like 3 jawns i need to play for ps2 before this happens... gran turismo 4, shinobido, and okami, and oh maybe shadow of the colossus (same crew that did iko, stink... but i am sure you know allready).
i seriously think i am addicted. especially lately. just playin stupid hitman bloodmoney. on the real, maybe i should seek treatment.
you should really play that snake eater. the game is such an achievement. it blows my mind that it was all programmed. i mean it almost seems like a lifeform. you won't regret it.
i still can't believe that in our lifetime we went from atari 2600 to shit like the subject of this post. what's gonna happen next? shit is bound to level off. or, i am thinking, once we have mastered games that look like dead ringers for reality, we are going to start doing very abstract games that are not trying to emulate reality at all. i actually had a dream about this. sort of like the history of painting, where for so long painters were trying to capture reality... then modern painting came. but with vids i think it is going to be more on a metaphysical level... more than just the appearance of the games... the a.i. and the "gameplay" if you could even call it that at that point. who knows?
I think CB is right. I'm actually hoping this happens, sooner than later. Besides neural controls, I think abstract gaming and entertainment experiences will be the hot.
...Except for replicating real experiences of things most ppl aren't able to do or don't have access to, where will photo-realistic games really have a place? Training and simulation, propably.
In some ways it almost takes us back to some of the better 2600 experiences where realism was less important. I also loved that some of the 2600 games had an instruction booklet with 2-3 page narrative intros that set up essentially moving squares around the screen.
MetalGear = Pretty hot... I was a little lost as to what was going on with the nanomachines. I guess I'll always have my head in an 8 bit world.
BTW, what chick wears earrings into battle? I mean they look great, all rendered, dangling naturally like they do, but isn't that a little impractical for the battle field? It's a silly point, but I was distracted by that till everyone started freaking out. I guess that's the only flaw I could find- which ain't nuthan.
I think the fighting looked more fluid and classy in Assassin's Creed... but I don't know shit about videogames any more. The last combat /FPS game I played with any regularity was America's Army.
man i know...assassins creed has a sci-fi twist! i havent sought ought the secret online or anything cause i want to be surprised.
looks like its another 50+ hours of my life pluggin in...
killkillkill
yo check out the gameplay:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22703.html
i was looking for mgs4 gameplay.
it is going to be 10 years before i play this game.
fuck.
Shit. That's outta hand. Statue camo? Whaaat?!?
That's crazy enough I would consider buying a
PS3- are they still like $600 bucks?
Hmmm... iPhone or PS3?
Fuck that, I'd buy a camera first.
LOL - the puking after the barrel attack and the "mens magazine" - Ha!
$500 for ps3.
actually, the a.i. in mgs4 looks
stupid... but i am sure on advanced settings it's better, but it seems too easy that you can just flip a switch and change your suit and be instantly "invisible"...
that weird white ring that floats around snake is hot shit. also the snake eye vision that turns enemies into white shadows... hot.
it's also cool that they finally made it a full blown 3D environment. previous installments have you sort of "fixed" on a certain overhead perspective. also, you could only look in the first person but not move.
any of yous ever play snake eater (mgs3)? it's pretty crazy. you have to hunt food and use camo. takes place in the 60's. it has these crazy ass natural environments.
i wanted (still want, actually) to play snake eater. i've always admired the mgs games from afar but i just couldnt get down with the gameplay. when they added the additional camera to snake eater: subsistence i was ready to start playing the series. but it got lost amongst a bunch of other games that came out. now i'm at the point where i cant fade ps2 anymore. i'll prolly get a ps3 in the fall, or a 360 despite how much i dont want. but it has more games on it.
the prob with the ps3 is you cant just play it on some corny little crt tv...500 for the ps3 and 5000 for the 96" hd plasma flatscreen tv...
i mean you *could* play it on a corny little crt...but you'd be playing in pure anguish imagining what life is like in the hi-def world
Target sells decent (no name brand) 26-40" HD flatscreen LCDs for a $300- $900. Good Sonys 36-40" are discounted to $1000-$1500... or you could get a $50-$100 converter box and use an old 19" computer display.
I would think it would be a waste to get a PS3 and not pump it through a (even mediocre) surround system and some display that supports Hi-Def resolutions.
thats my dilemma: i want a ps3 bad but fuck -- i *need* the stupid ass tv too. it just doesnt make sense otherwise! it's like a $2K investment ...
$2k to waste months and months of sheer life. ha. it would probably be good for your mind or something tho.
i could suffer along with a shitty screen probably, but i would run it through my production monitors which can be expanded to surround for like $150.
if i abstain from videogames for 6 months and do an album worth of tracks, THEN get a ps3 and play the assassin jawn and mgs4 i think i could live with myself.
meanwhile there are like 3 jawns i need to play for ps2 before this happens... gran turismo 4, shinobido, and okami, and oh maybe shadow of the colossus (same crew that did iko, stink... but i am sure you know allready).
i seriously think i am addicted. especially lately. just playin stupid hitman bloodmoney. on the real, maybe i should seek treatment.
and oh o.j.--
you should really play that snake eater. the game is such an achievement. it blows my mind that it was all programmed. i mean it almost seems like a lifeform. you won't regret it.
i still can't believe that in our lifetime we went from atari 2600 to shit like the subject of this post. what's gonna happen next? shit is bound to level off. or, i am thinking, once we have mastered games that look like dead ringers for reality, we are going to start doing very abstract games that are not trying to emulate reality at all. i actually had a dream about this. sort of like the history of painting, where for so long painters were trying to capture reality... then modern painting came. but with vids i think it is going to be more on a metaphysical level... more than just the appearance of the games... the a.i. and the "gameplay" if you could even call it that at that point. who knows?
I think CB is right. I'm actually hoping this happens, sooner than later. Besides neural controls, I think abstract gaming and entertainment experiences will be the hot.
...Except for replicating real experiences of things most ppl aren't able to do or don't have access to, where will photo-realistic games really have a place? Training and simulation, propably.
In some ways it almost takes us back to some of the better 2600 experiences where realism was less important. I also loved that some of the 2600 games had an instruction booklet with 2-3 page narrative intros that set up essentially moving squares around the screen.