BUILD-A-FRIEND

Author: Ink-Stained Wretch



With typically cracked vision, Jack Kirby anticipates the "Real Doll" by over two decades... and posits that they will be made out of real girls.

 

5 Responses to “BUILD-A-FRIEND

  1. Ink-Stained Wretch

    Sorry... didn't mean to break the template... and thanks to whoever fixed it so the little pencils show up again! I couldn't figure out how to reedit the goddamn post.


  2. Gtown Monkey

    Yikes.
    I'm terrified... yet can't look away.


  3. Ink-Stained Wretch

    BTW: It appears that this past Wednesday, DC put out a "Countdown Special" of OMAC stories, an "80-page giant" -- might be worth a flip-thru at your local comix vendor's. Apparently there are also pieces by Jim Starlin -- another of my favorite comix creators from this period: he has a habit of taking Kirby's KOZMIK visions and reinterpreting them through a filter of Neal Adamized musculature and acid-drenched psychedelia. His run on Warlock was just some of the most trippy, fucked-up shit to ever appear in a mainstream newsstand comic.


  4. Gtown Monkey

    I was just in Showcase Comics
    (now called ATOMIC CITY) yesterday,
    and damn it if I could remember what
    I was looking for. Interesting, they
    had almost an entire Grant Morrison
    section.


  5. Anonymous

    Yeah, I was up at the new Brave New World in Old City for a signing/sketch thing my friend Christine was doing and, while browsing the store, was blown away by all of the high-fallutin' Kirby collections being pushed now. All of his really weird stuff, like New Gods and (my favorite) Kamandi, the Last Boy are being published again, many in full-color glory.

    Anyway, to bring this back to the back, I heard Morrison is currently/planning on taking on the New Gods, although I'm sorta out of touch with this corner of the world right now. Could be some very cool/totally bizarre overlapping of ideas though…

    And I'm sorry to continue the non-sequitors, but Kirby's FF designs, like all of the Rube Goldberg-esque non-sensical machines, are a Production Designer's dream! Why no sign of these in either (modern) movie (Fantasti-Car by Mercedes doesn't count)?


Leave a Reply