Tales of the PPA

Author: Gtown Monkey

So the dreaded Philadelphia Parking Authority
is now the star of it's own cable show...
and it's really quite amusing. Parking Wars
has been produced since 2001 in different cities.
This past summer it was Philly's turn.
It aires on A&E and Comcast ON-DEMAND.

Watching Parking Wars reminded me of
some of my own totally random
Parking Authority misadventures...


this was just this past monday-
the second broken meter The Count and I
encountered on the same block.
unfortunately we didn't record our silly conversation
with 3 PPA enforcement officers following this.


"Ty gets the Boot"
(we were shooting something else entirely
and this just happened. Cira '02 or '03)

 

10 Responses to “Tales of the PPA”

  1. Anonymous

    Sorry Ty, the only bologna you'll find in prison is the tubular variety (oh no I didn't!). I should've known this "incident" was gonna turn into an "Adventures of…" sorta thing!


  2. Ockshun Jockson

    haha...i dont think ty is riding around in that bucket anymore...


  3. Gtown Monkey

    I should point out that this was not Ty's car...
    just something happening on the street at the
    time.


  4. Ink-Stained Wretch

    So he wasn't really gonna give these guys free lumber???

    I caught part of that Parking show with the Rev. a while back... it was kind of amazing how fired up were getting at these @#$!%s and their condescending attitudes. I don't know how it works in Philly, but out here the parking regs are basically "poor people tax"... all the areas with the densest parking and the most inane restrictions are also the most impoverished.

    But I guess they haven't learned G-Town's trick -- any place is a legitimate parking spot if you just put on your blinkers!


  5. Ockshun Jockson

    that wasnt ty's car?? lol

    thats hilarious. or are you doing some PR spin here? what's the word, gtown?


  6. Gtown Monkey

    I should prob post the whole 10m
    or so. It's sort of funny, I guess.
    I wanted to spare you all. It was in
    the morning, a few hours before
    call time on Trading Spaces
    which was shooting somewhere out
    near Collegeville, PA
    (yes, Ink- the same)
    I had been shooting a lot of
    behind-the-scenes stuff at the time
    to pitch the network a BTS show...
    (an idea which they or Banyan essential
    stole two years later and did a hokey
    version of)
    ... we were shooting Ty salvaging good
    timber from a dumpster in
    Art Museum -hood, when we stumbled
    across the PPA booting a car.
    It's a credit to Ty's wacky
    improving and general madness.

    If anyone wants to see the rest,
    I'll repost the whole segment.


  7. JOHNPAUL215

    This show is like crack.

    things i learned so far:
    1) this makes the city look terrible, and the sting is that all the money from tickets goes to the state.
    2) 15 years with the PPA gets you a pension.
    3) while it seems impossible to get a ticket rescinded by a metermaid, it IS possible to get a car dropped from the tow truck.
    4) metermaids eat their young


  8. JOHNPAUL215

    gtown... i would dig seeing the rest of this.

    this really is proof that after the state takeover of the "corrupt PPA" is no better than it ever was.


  9. Ink-Stained Wretch

    > This show is like crack.

    In that it's cheap, it stinks, and it has long-term debilitating side effects.


  10. Gtown Monkey

    I like the show...
    it amusing and at times
    totally infuriating. I can't
    get my better half to watch-
    Something about 'she'd rather
    chew her arm off'...
    so, I guess it's safe to say that
    it's not for everybody.

    I think it's a pretty even balance
    of stupid "citizens" commiting
    irresponsible parking offenses
    and tales of the hand of the man.


Leave a Reply