new reel
Author: Gtown Monkey
***version 3*** is now up (8:45pm EST)
As agonizing, as it was educational, the week-long
process of editing a new narrative reel edit is complete.
I learned quite a bit, besides the glaring "how slow an editor I am"
[picture a monkey repeatedly and violently pounding a keyboard]
The new Final Cut's (Studio 2) ability to mix footage of different
resolutions and frame rates is a bigger deal than most discussion
As agonizing, as it was educational, the week-long
process of editing a new narrative reel edit is complete.
I learned quite a bit, besides the glaring "how slow an editor I am"
[picture a monkey repeatedly and violently pounding a keyboard]
The new Final Cut's (Studio 2) ability to mix footage of different
resolutions and frame rates is a bigger deal than most discussion
as reflected.
Another little discovery is that Legacy Panasonic SDX-900* footage upconverts
to 720p very nicely within FCP and nearly transparently. I think I must have
started the edit with 720p HD footage (from the last film in edit) and that dictated that
the sequence was. Anything moved into the edit form that point on is converted into
Apple ProRes HD. Because of this, I would definitely consider shooting SDX to FCP for HD output, if shooting on the cheap, possibly as a viable alternative to 16/S16MM Film.
The SDX is still a popular camera, but probably less of a rental than an HD pkg.
The footage is all from 3 recent narrative films I've shot.
Visit my page and check out the quicktime on "movie".
If there are issues with playing the file, I'll post a smaller version.
[wishing I had a nice transfer of Spongebath to include]
feedback requested.
Thanks,
-MJ
*2004 review
Visit my page and check out the quicktime on "movie".
If there are issues with playing the file, I'll post a smaller version.
[wishing I had a nice transfer of Spongebath to include]
feedback requested.
Thanks,
-MJ
*2004 review

is there a checkbox in FCP to "allow web streaming" on your output mov? on my pc i have to wait for the whole movie to load before it plays.
or
if you keep it as you have it now, also provide a link such as "click here to download movie" and place it in a zip file imo.
know what else is good now-a-days? output to flv (flash video). it buffers nice and if you do it at a high kbps you can retain all the fidelity of sorenson or a similar codec.
maybe do flv for the embedded, and provide a zipped quicktime as a "download" link right below it?
...still downloading re: comments on actual footage.
yeah i hope trace still has the 3/4 of the superior cut of spongebath. are we ever going to do proper sound for it? the original cut still pains me to think about. face it, it was rushed and it blows.
am still waiting for reel to dl as well. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
anyways, the music at the very beginning is cool. superchimps/brows track! nice.
will post again when i finally watch this thing.
allright, i got it loaded, but it is playing back all janky and staggered. weird. picture quality wise it looks really really good though.
anyway, i like the first movie on the reel the best. it has an awesome naturalistic/non-naturalistic lighting style. you did the lighting? i seriously think that one is the best work of yours so far... i remember seeing it at one point.. maybe not in its entirety.
i can't really be objective about sherone's jawn.
the last movie on the reel is somewhat normal looking. which is good for getting work i suppose. it looks alot like television does nowadays.
congratulations are in order regardless. you have become a very skilled cinematographer.
when i look at your work i get the feeling you are on the edge of something really crazy. you really need to be unleashed from the binds of "work" somehow.
I think it looks great man. Shit is mad sexy! Can I get the number of the girl in the first segment? Great lighting and like the low angle shots you use sometimes. Very Lynchian. can only see a couple minor issues with it. The compression looks fine but the sped up transition shot about a third of the way in which is followed by the shot of the guy who looks like Sean Pen's dead brother appears to have like a digital streak in it. I may be wrong. Anyways the other thing is that I do kind of agree with Brownsie that the final segment is a little tame compared to the other two, like he said more like something you would see on tv. Now I am trained as an artist rather than a film maker, but in my opinion maybe consider re-ordering the three segments. If you put the last one in the middle that might make the overall piece peak a little more at the end. I think the first segment is great and it really draws you in and i think if you put the last one second and than the second one last the ending would have more umph. Just my unprofessional opinion. Also, just to throw it out there, what about mashing the whole thing up? In other words, mixing all 3 movies together. Im not saying do some frantic industrial chop up, just like if you put it in the blender and pushed the pulse button once or twice. Just an idea. Overall its great man and the editing is top notch. Nice work.
yo, i liked it a lot. i thought the music suited the entire piece very well.
i didnt notice anything "off" about the 3rd act of the reel; i thought it all worked just fine. but if you do decide to re-order them, it reminds me of advice i received when making my html portfolio: start with the strongest piece and end with the 2nd strongest piece. that way they open to a great work and leave on a great work as well.
sounds like the 480p is bogging down the browsie's laptop. you may want to cross-reference with his specs. but i think your target audience will be able to run 480p. may want to consider the flv tho in this regard again, and make the quicktime a download link.
-ock + shun
Big ups to everyone who gave some feedback.
One friend even called me with specific "notes"...
pretty awesome.
Claude and Jax, special thanks. I'm trying the reordering idea- (1,3,2) that makes a lot of sense to me. I'm looking into the .flv output as well...
I don't know what I have that will output that
format. Prob just have to mess with Quicktimes
some more.
Re Spongebath- I still feel the neg should be retransferred and rebuilt first, then possibly reedited. We never entered that fucker in any festivals or got it shown anywhere, which is a shame. Still one of my favorite films!
I'm going to try and put some money aside to finally address this and get it retransferred
(i've taken good care of the Negs, but they don't last forever either) If there is a 3/4 tape of some other edit it's probably in bad shape. They don't last very long. I've thrown all my 3/4's out before moving to LA, as they had already decayed. Videotape, man- go figure.
Didn't know that was SUPERCHIMPS...
It just comes up as Track 08 in Itunes.
I'll give yous props in the next edit.
Is there anyway to tag you tracks so they come up
in iTunes with that info. Most of Jax's stuff does.
re: spongebath
i don't want my name on the shitty cut. if we are going to go through all that trouble we might as well do it right! furthermore, i will travel to any film festival you put it in and sabotage any potential screening with stink bombs.
i have a vhs of the good cut as reference. with digital editing it should be way easier to cut than it was with those wonky 3/4 decks and switcher.
we spent a lot of time, money, and lifeforce on this shit, it needs to be proper.
re: track 8
you probably ripped it off some disc so no tags. an mp3 sent over the web would still have tags.
Spongebath:
so, help me raise some loot
and with Dok Brown's maskills
we could do it however "right"
you want, man. I will totally
support and match any effort
to those ends.
challenge issued,
browsie doo
... and do know the name
of that Brows/Eyebrow
trakyo?
that song is a brows super chimp track called blue out.
money?????..... MONEY??? i hear that word a lot but i am not sure what it even means!