I Left My Job to Finish My Album

Author: Ockshun Jockson

Truth be told, I was ready to leave in October: I had requested a huge amount of time off to travel to Japan, and if they had given me any shit about it I was prepared to leave. But they didn't. In all, the experience at the job was great. It was a good ride.

So here I am, in the final stages of finishing my record. Most of the music was produced while still in Philadelphia. I spent the past year and a half+ recording and mixing the album. I had a horrible session today. I haven't had much luck with this particular song since its inception. In fact, I believe I made a post about it months ago doubting my seemingly flailing ability to decipher quality within my own works.

This album is a huge departure for me as an artist. I have worked with tons of collaborating musicians, as opposed to just myself or one other person which has been the case for my entire career (since 1997). I have come to realize I want to continue in this path of collaboration; the excitement of receiving files from the collaborating artists has proven to be a steady stream of highlights over the past two years. My inability to play any music instrument is a huge shortcoming. I want to sample less and less. This has been the hardest transition for me as an artist: cease sampling, but still incorporate memorable melodies. Fortunately with the advent of the internet, etc. this can be remedied through collaboration with ably skilled musicians. In contrast, my skills as a drum programmer and a "producer" in the classical sense of the word are my strong points.

But creating the music is the easy part. It's packaging and selling it which is the hardest, in my opinion. And while I have a vision I am surely (in typical Virgo fashion) to see through, the journey has only yet to begin for this new album and fresh alias.

So for the time being I am back to my freelancing roots. A first, mind you, as a resident of San Francisco (Oakland rent is a different story). I am confident I'll be fine: My resume has broadened dramatically in the 2 years I was at the ad agency. Right now, my mind is on the music. And oh what a predicament that is.

-Ock

 

7 Responses to “I Left My Job to Finish My Album”

  1. Gtown Monkey

    Wow, braver words are seldom heard.
    I admire your determination as I have
    always have your abilities. I wish I could
    paint a more rainbow-colored picture of
    the magical world of, but as I'm sure you
    know, it ain't always great. Freelancing is
    probably a good topic for another post
    since many of us here, are.

    If I know you man, you'll be on top of that
    SF scene in no time. If there's anything
    I can do from here to help with the Album
    or whatever, please don't hesitate to ask.

    Cheers Mate!


  2. cleveland browsie

    uhhh dag!

    big moves!

    if you need someone to freak that track let me know, or an ear for advice...

    personally i don't think you should abandon sampling all together. why? lawsuits? bah! not if you do it right. i just think that you are good at it...


  3. Ockshun Jockson

    not sampling altogether. but for melodies and stuff? i want to make my own melodies. know what i mean? i want to make my own songs and not have to lean on someone else's stuff.

    i'll probably take you up on that checking out the track offer. i'm pushing this song to the back tho. i cant dwell on it right now. it'll probably be the last thing i do for the album.


  4. Ink-Stained Wretch

    The Muse is a Harsh Mistress.

    Dude, bust an appendage. And keep us posted on developments... I'm excited to hear how this story turns out. And I think your saga would be instructive... Spider-Senses indicate that a number of us are currently working on our Ph.Ds in the School of Hardknockology... I'm contemplating my final thesis project myself, at the moment.


  5. Claude Balls

    big big props thun. most people are cowards and there are few willing to take a step towards instability in order to advance toward their true goals. You'll be fine. I am a shitty freelancer and in fact am still in the stage where i am having to do a lot of shit for free or for way less than i should be charging just to continue to gain valuable experiences, but seriously i wouldn't change anything as I am feeding myself and moving towards doing the kind of shit i really want to be doing and giving myself the free time to work on art on the side. You and I are both virgos and both jews. Take it from me its easy to be cheap and still have fun. Two good tips i would offer would be to gravitate towards the sale items at the grocery store and if there is an item you really like at an attractive sale price buy like 5 to 10 of them. The other is if you are going out to a bar get yourself a 12 oz bottle of coke, empty out half of it, and fill the empty half with scotch and keep it in your pocket so as to be able to sustain a serious buzz while cutting way down on your alcohol costs at the bar. Oh yea be careful cuz this can also lead to early evening puking.

    Also buy yourself a shitty keyboard or guitar. Learning guitar was the best thing i ever did for myself and i totally taught myself which many people think is the best way to do it. Also i sort of think people write really cool music when they are in formative stages and haven't moved on to the Joe Satrianni bullshit. Just get an instrument and try writing melodies and i'm sure you'll get it. I am also a set of ears willing to give a critique. Don't hesitate chum.

    you on the right path dog. Don't second guess yourself cuz you got shit on cruise control and you dont even know it yet.


  6. wakeupmagee

    i second that balls. also have you messed around with 'garage band' at all? it's a great program and super easy to use for creating melodies. if not do check it out man.


  7. cleveland browsie

    i actually use sections of different samples in sequence or even on top of each other to make melodies, as well as re-pitching sections of the same sample to create something else. ableton live, thun.

    but whatever, you were sampling and sampling only for a long ass time... i have always freaked basslines (when i actually have a bassline) and other little things here and there, so i feel you. in fact, i am looking for a second hand bass guitar. i need a certain sound...

    the only reason i said anything was because i feared you were going to never sample again... i have an issue with tracks that are too "music-y" if you know what i mean... (like some sort of midi nightmare). clearly a combination is the best path. (the middle way).

    anyways, claude.... you the troof maing! excellent comments. i think all of us here know what you're saying in some respect. like ink says:

    HARDKNOCKOLOGY, baby!

    it's the only way to roll. otherwise your work is like mayonnaise.

    cheers.


Leave a Reply