The Danger Diabolik Thread
Author: Ockshun Jockson

Yes, it was inevitable: The Danger Diabolik thread. Share thoughts, experiences, influences, etc.
First up:
The intro/credits song I ripped right from the DVD (aka, "Deep Deep Down"):
Download MP3 here
Trailer:
Opening Credits video:
That track put the G-
in my daily grooooovy!
Watching Diabolik...
I can't help but think of Gijoe's Snakeeyes,
Mortal Combat's Scorpion or Scorpius
from SciFi's long running Farscape series.
I have a suspicion they are all really the
same being, with one damn good agent.
Ah, Danger: Diabolik! As far as I'm concerned, Bava's finest, and Morricone's quirkiest score this side of I Cannibale! Visually, you don't get any more super-saturated pop goodness than this right here. I'm surprised that this film hasn't exactly taken off with American audiences, but considering the structure of the story (essentially going from one big heist to another, with very little tonal shift), some people can see it as slow (?)…
And gtown, It's funny that you cite Diabolik's influence on other ninja/thief characters, as this one's been passed around like an old copy of Playboy, from the original fumetti comics, obviously adapted here, used (illegally) in other Italian flicks (sort of a criminal Django, in that regard), regurgitated by the Beastie Boys for the "Body Movin" video and swiped again by Grant Morrison (as the character Fantomex).
Apologies for the rant, but this was better than a cup of coffee this morning!
One last thing, gtown, I've been threatening you with the theme song for I Cannibali for some time, now seems like a good time to spread the love:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/653765053d5466/
F*ckin' YAY! Danger: DIABOLIK is the sex bob-bomb. Thank you, Dino de Laurentis, for another movie only you would be insane enough to produce. (Also, Flash Gordon, Barbarella, Army of Darkness, Maximum Overdrive and... Fellini's Nights of Cabiria???)
I was going to mention the Fantomas / Fantomex connection, but the Count beat me to the punch. And of course, some of the movie's bizarre shots are referenced in that fount of all '60s weirdness, CQ.
Speaking of the original Italian comix, here's the logo -- did those crazy eyebrows, which "actor" John Philip Law went to great pains to reproduce on screen!
Thanks for the I Cannibalous!!!
Speaking of our friend DINO De...
The fucking White Buffalo!!!
is now safely tucked away on my DVR.
Yes- the same one from the fucking hilarious
trailer of the found footage collection from
years past. I had no idea it would pop up on
cable.
1977, Charles Bronson and Jack Warden.
I cannot wait.
Here's the very kind IMDB plotsumm...
In this strange western version of JAWS, Wild Bill Hickok hunts a white buffalo he has seen in a dream. Hickok moves through a variety of uniquely authentic western locations - dim, filthy, makeshift taverns; freezing, slaughterhouse-like frontier towns and beautifully desolate high country - before improbably teaming up with a young Crazy Horse to pursue the creature.
Wow, as a fan of both Bronson and buffalo-slaughter, I'm sold! Since your DVD-rec is busticated I may have to come over for a viewing. I've been on a man vs animal movie binge lately, and this seems like just the ticket to un-hook me from Sonny Chiba's Karate Bullfighter…
Dude, I thought you were making up Karate Bull Fighter but this is an honest to God movie (elsewhere known as Champion of Death, but fuck it, we know which one sticks.)
But I gotta warn you, fellas... The White Buffalo sounds like pure, can't miss insanity, but if I remember rightly, it's actually depressingly dull. Less Jaws than a version of Moby Dick where somebody cut out all the cool shit and just left chapters where nothing happens except reams of random unnecessary information about whales and whaling.
Spot on Ink... at least about the WHITE WHALE,
part. Totally, Ahab's Quest, revisited.
- partial spoiler alert -
This wasn't as bad as I had expected...
It was a little talkie- yes, though there is
some action and not devoid of humor.
There is some great dialog - meaning an
honest attempt at period banter and slang,
though not nearly as clever as Miller's Crossing. The Buffalo itself needed more motivation, besides just being "crazy".
I would have expected some Orca-like
motivation for the attacks, like some sort of
animal revenge for crimes against nature,
esp considering the presence and involvement
of native americans... maybe I missed it.
Bronson is very antihero... as usual.
Later in life, with few friends left-
he as Hickok, returns to the Black Hills of SD to
meet destiny (a marauding WHITE BUFFALO) that has been calling him in dreams. So driven is he, that he turns down advances by a mature
(but still very hot) Kim Novak. Slim Pickens makes an appearance as an unflappable stage coach driver and Jack Warden is "One-Eye" the crusty old sidekick who is slow to trust Crazy Horse
(aka Worm).
Crazy Horse and Hickok teaming up
(well, sort of ) is novel for the time.
I guess I really wanted to like this...
and there were a few reasons to.
But don't mistake this for a good movie,
but there is something to be gained by
watching it. I was entertained.