Jekyll: more great stuff from the BBC
Author: Gtown Monkey
why can't our television be this good?
Jekyll miniseries is now on DVD.
They took some forgivable creative liberties with the original
story. This is meant to be a companion / continuation to the original,
but well worth checking out...
promo:
also a decent little intro for you... without giving much away
(yes-FWIW, that's NBC's new Bionic Woman, Michelle Ryan):
damn, i'm on it.
anybody know how they do those bloody eye effects? i sort of want to do it to myself and you know, walk around town and stuff.
whats with this new terminator television show? anyone?
honestly, i'm just waiting for the new "WIRE" shit. while i enjoyed concords, sopranos, curb, rome, and extras, all that stuff i have come to realize was simply tiding me over until the new wire season. and it is finally upon us!
Um, Schirminator, have you seen the whole run of Jekyll?
It starts off great, but then it kind of turns into the poor man's "Hulk."
I've never been more impressed by a first chapter of something and so, so disappointed by where it ended up going... my disappointment and disgust mirrored only by my reaction to the Decline and Fall of The Matrix Trilogy. (With that similar moment in the middle where I was going: "No, wait, this middle bit is kind of pretentious, muddled and needlessly confusing, but I think they're going someplace really interes -- oh. Whoops. Sorry, they're not, nevermind.")
yeah looking forward to the new season of The Wire....discovered that HBO on my free cable started working again...whoohoo
Yes...
I watched the whole thing in two nights
(it's only 5 eps).
I think nearly redeemed itself by the end.
( I sort of guessed part of the conclusion early
on and then forgot about it). Sometimes though, the trip is worth enduring the rough spots.
I Loved the whole Carver - the Merc character... Crazy Frog is my new ringtone! Still better than most domestic TV,
except BSG.
To that end... and this prob deserves a full post, is
CALIFORNICATION a thoughtful, well written and amusing Showtime series. Yes, there are some big problems with it (esp the final ep)- but I'm willing to endure that to see Duchovny in a role he was meant to play. Sometimes you have to admire the stuff that misses the mark, ya know?
Now, what about Heros?
... there's a show we've come to enjoy-
but it comes and goes in waves.
Speaking of good on DVD...
Checkout The Lookout written
and directed by Scott Frank and
starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Brick)
in another role with some depth and complexity.
Also noteworthy, Paul "Robocop" Verhoven's Black Book.
BTW, I would heartily recommend everybody watch at least the pilot for Jekyll -- in fact, I pretty much loved the first half, hell, the first three quarters of it (the first three episodes of the six). In fact, I'd recommend the whole thing as a case study of a fantastic set-up gone horribly awry. (But then, I used to recommend The Negotiator and Face-Off as rare examples of action thrillers with incredible second acts and completely crappy first and third acts. This is a stunt you couldn't pull off if you tried, and no one would.)
We all love good, well crafted things... but I'm also fascinated by things derailed and gone wrong.